Translate

Sunday, December 2, 2012

cuniculum

It's been a while since my thoughts have been organized enough to compose poetry from them.

But I was arbitrarily not sleeping last night, and decided to push one out.  I don't think it's necessarily my best poem, and I'm not really sure whether I want to revisit this later and polish it, or just leave it raw, but I figured perhaps I would share some poetry today.

---

"I am Tunnelling."

I have entered a tunnel,
Which I am creating.
Both to find, and to hide.

It takes not much to find.
Only enter the tunnel,
Barely beginning to dig,
And there you are. Found.

But to hide,
I must go deeper.
An hundred miles-
But not quite,
Before another found finds me.

I cannot give my findings away any longer.
Just as I have entered the tunnel to hide,
You must enter my tunnel to find.
I am no longer your gift,
Until you come to me
And we are both found.

But isn't it peculiar,
How we turn to those we hope to love
And bury those we love already.
We make gods of men, and they leave us
Alone in the dirt,
Where all we can do is tunnel
And return to being found.

---

There you are.  By far, my favorite stanza is the last one.
And if you notice the Oscar Wilde quote, congratulations!  I was reading Lady Windermere's Fan last night and finished it shortly before deciding to write this.
(Very good play, I definitely recommend it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment