Translate

Monday, February 25, 2013

circumstant

So my friend walked into my room earlier today.  I was sitting at my desk reading this book (and writing in it of course...one of the best ways to enjoy books.) Upon seeing this scene, he commented that my room looks like a library.  There are always several stacks of books on my desk (textbooks and otherwise) as well as papers and notebooks open waiting for a pen to complete them...so it's not too hard to see where the notion that I live in a library comes from.

Although it is true that I live in a library...I frequent this building on campus to study and borrow books and use the computers...If I could sleep in the library, I probably would just move in altogether.
Alas, the library I live in does not look like this.


What's nice about my library room, though, is that it is my own creation.  I built my own environment and accidentally made a library.  Awwwyeah.

See, whether we're building an accidental library or some other habitat to define us, We ultimately create our immediate surroundings.  Yes, there are always aspects of life that can't be helped and that are out of our control, but we still decide which books go where in our libraries.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what to do with a library...what direction should a library of all things be headed?  Personally I would like my library to be such that an owl-eyed man could walk into my life, pick the books off my shelves, and be thrilled to see that they are in fact real books.  Some of the pages may not yet be cut, but all the things in and around my life will never be counterfeited.

Basically now that I've unintentionally or perhaps subconsciously built a library around my life, I intend to continue to build it until it becomes something majestic.

6 comments:

  1. by the way, I have slept in the USU library . . . head on desk during study time , so it is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry, I've slept all over campus...I get around? :P
      Not like that.

      Delete
  2. Love this! And the Gatsby reference of course. And I am oh so happy that I'm not the only one that scribbles all over my books. :) Which library is that, in the picture? Or is it just some generic Google photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got the Gatsby reference :) It's just a picture I took of my room...
      (I found it on the internets. :D)

      Delete
  3. I have a little mini library as well!! I'm constantly on the lookout for new books to read, even though college seems to take all my time. With all this learning and stuff, it's hard to learn more of what I want to learn right now! But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Less sleep, more reading, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I sometimes feel like I've wasted my time in class if I didn't sneak a book open during lecture...

      Delete