Translate

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

problemata

Lately I have been aware of a lot of problems here in life that don't really have answers.

"Why does it have to be so hard all the time?"
"My roommate drives me crazy."      
"Is there something wrong with me?"
"My best friend is too busy to talk to me anymore."
"I hate it when class gets out late."    
"I'm always so angry at my parents."
             "I feel like I'm just a burden to my friends."
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

What are you supposed to do? All of these problems are so complex and each situation is so personal and unique that there really aren't answers.  There's no one-size-fits-all solution.  If there was, I would hope that humanity would have found it after so many millenia of existence...But we have to face our problems and our lives on our own. We can't rely on the past, and there aren't any answers in the back of the book.  Alas.  This isn't math.

But there has to be some way to fix stuff like this, otherwise the world would be a terribly oppressive and miserable place. And I've found that for the most part, it isn't...so what's the answer we're missing?

Well, amid all the suggestions from religion, philosophy, science, politics, and so many other views or schools of thought, I've realized that the way I must answer the question is the way an engineer would.

Problem: half the volume of a glass contains water.
Optimist's solution: "yes! I have half a cup of water!"
Pessimist's solution: "curses.  I don't have half a cup of water."
Engineer's solution: "This cup has twice the necessary volume."

(hopefully this is not the first time you have heard that lame joke...XP)

Anyway, the lame joke was demonstrating an engineering approach, which I will now apply to the life problems.
Rather than fixing the problem, sometimes you just need to view the problem differently and redefine it.
So instead of wondering what to do and where to go and why things suck...realize that none of these things are problems.
Your problem is this:
YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.


So in order to fix this, just stop having problems.

"Gee thanks", you say.

No really.  If you can change your perspective and thoughts on life such that you no longer perceive these things as tragedies and problems, then it doesn't matter who your roommate is or how busy your best friend is or how hard life is right now, because you don't think it's a problem anymore.
Your problems don't have to have answers to go away.

It's a hard thing to do.  I am certainly not telling you that this is easy. I'm still not there all the way.  But maybe it's something to consider trying.

Best of luck. :)

4 comments:

  1. That's an interesting approach that I shall have to attempt. My normal approach is to completely ignore everything I can't fix and hope it goes away. :)

    On a completely unrelated note, did you catch the USA vs. Mexico game last night? I watched it, and while I was disappointed with how we played, I was satisfied with the result. As it turns out, in the last 41 years, the U.S. has never won a world cup qualification game in Mexico, but Mexico has never won one here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't manage to catch the game unfortunately...Engineering homework tends to see to that nicely. :P I did see a few highlights and yes, I got the stats about our general failure to win points in Mexico. So I'm pleased with the result.
      Did Kyle Beckerman play? :D?

      Delete
    2. If I recall correctly, he did not. :(

      Delete
    3. Curses.
      Are you gonna watch the RSL vs Sounders game tonight?

      Delete