Translate

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

communico

So, in case you're not already getting the vibe, I'll be posting less frequently than I formerly was here.
But hey, relative to the last 18 months, its a huge improvement!

Today we get a rare weekday post because I just finished a week full of tests and therefore have no homework due tomorrow. :D  Ah, the engineering life...

So in my momentary fit of freedom, I attended an event with the English department.

...
I guess we can all accept that I have English tendencies, seeing as I keep this blog (which was originally about writing) but I still felt like I had entered a whole different world.  I didn't really feel at home like I do in the engineering building, or in the shop.

It's probably just been a long time since I've embraced the side of me that wants to write things and break the rules.  Since there is far more rule-breaking done by English majors than by engineers.  And that is why your world operates safely.

Anyway, on my way home,  I decided to take the opportunity to reflect on my eye-opening experiences with the word nerds via some poetry.  Aww yeee.
Since I was walking at the time, it came out very raw, with no writing to interrupt or help its structure.
It came out a lot more honest that way, perhaps.
I liked it.  It reminded me of when I used to think in poetry, to some extent.

Here's a bit of a combo of what I didn't write on the way home, and what I did write a couple hours later.  Less raw, more polished, and....not quite as good.
I guess I should have recorded myself.
Ah well. Here it is.  First poem in a long while:


Communications


So, I came in late
which didn't quite help
to participate
or really get what was going on.

I took a seat at the back,
looked around at the pack
of strangers--
pens and paper at the ready,
scribbles across the pages,
and they were all prepared.

I really had nothing.
Woops.

But one by one
each had their turn
to rise to the front,
and open their mouth
--their world--
to the audience.

We began to communicate--
in a one-direction way--
as I sat and received
what began to illuminate
my rusty old mind.

It still isn't clear
but now that I'm here
don't y'all find it queer
to be here;
so many of you,
and just one engineer.

So I sit, look around
at this new world, new ground,
and wonder what makes you all think
in that way that is paper
and ink.

For me, it's all numbers,
diagrams, forces.
The bottom line is whether it works.

My head's made all different
and though I might share,
I don't think my math
will resonate
so you could appreciate
just how I communicate.

But be it in words or numbers,
diagrams, paintings, or graphs,
there's got to be some grand idea
that, no matter the head that you have,
gets those cogs turning.


It's a structural mess, I know (definitely not a structural engineer's ideal)...originally it was more rhythmically driven than anything else.  I think putting it on paper kindof botched it in a way.
But...if you liked any of it, say so.
If not, just go back to your regularly-scheduled life.  Wait for the next post, it will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment