Translate

Sunday, April 7, 2013

servitium

So, for the past couple weeks I participated in what you might call a challenge.  I made a particular effort to notice the small acts of service that other people perform daily.  Things that usually go unnoticed or taken for granted.  For me, this was best done by having a small notebook to write things in.  That way, I was consciously recognizing things and spending some thought on them, rather than just a fleeting moment of mental capacity.  My record is more permanent and meaningful.

And hopefully people don't think I'm creepy, writing down the good things they do. :P

Anyway, over the course of just less than 20 days, I recorded nearly 120 various acts of service.  Some were bigger things, like somebody cooking dinner for me when I was too stressed with studying to do it myself.  Others were smaller, like a particular compliment, or someone opening the door for someone else.  Some of the services I recorded were done on my behalf, some on behalf of my friends, and some for people I didn't even know.  Many were performed by my friends, and many others were by strangers.

Doing this gave me some hope for society and the world.  It made it clear that the world around me and the people in it are good.  It encouraged and inspired me to be more generous and gracious toward those around me, whether I know them or not.

The cool thing is that sometimes that can be as easy as a conversation.  There were several times that somebody I didn't know very well would just talk to me as we walked from one class to another.  Although we still don't know each other well and that one conversation didn't have a lasting affect on our relationship, I was still grateful to have someone to talk to that day; it always brightened my mood.


I encourage you to look around you at the good that other people are doing in the world.  It's a refreshing experience and makes living a little bit easier, knowing that other people around you care about you, as well as the others in their lives.  They care about the world they live in, and they love it enough to improve it, bit by bit.

2 comments:

  1. Three things things I love about your blog.
    1. The Latin titles.
    2. The choices for comments, Yes, I am pleased, or This is too long.
    3. The fantastic candor of your writing style. Basically you are just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three things I have to say to you:
      1) gratias
      2) YES. Thank you.
      3) Honestly and sincerely, Thank you :)
      I'm glad you like my blog so much :D

      Delete