Translate

Saturday, September 15, 2012

scriptus

Alright.  Time to revisit the fact that I write a lot.

This is perhaps becoming more and more true, because I am finding myself much more prone to spending time writing blog posts than doing chemistry assignments (of which I have already missed...all of the assignments...)

Then again, I've also neglected to write in my book for quite some time...poor book.
That's right.  I have what most would call a "journal".  But for some reason, I have an aversion to it being called a "journal", and so instead, I have a "book".  And if people ask me, "oh, is that your journal?", I will instead tell them, "No, actually, this is my book".  And then they draw the conclusion that I am writing a book, presumably a fantasy romance teenage drama novel with dragons, because those are the kinds of books that people my age like to try to write.  And then hopefully they leave me alone, because obviously I am not writing stuff in my book in hopes that it will become a social activity.

So, why do I write so excessively?  To be honest, I don't know exactly why.  I write lots of different things, see.  A book.  A blog.  I used to keep a few different books that were each specifically for one topic.  Letters.  I used to write lots of letters...probably about half of which never actually reached their recipients.  I occasionally keep a bookmark on which I write phrases that I am particularly fond of from the book that I am reading.  My desk is cluttered with notebooks and small slips of paper, all containing excellent thoughts and realizations and words...I especially love words.

So my question is this: Why bother thinking if we can't write?  Or doing, or experiencing, or anythinging, for that matter.  I write lots of things to just remember them.  My book, yes, but also just notes.  Grocery lists.  How to take perform integration by parts.  Things to do today.  Something I thought of or remembered, and didn't want to lose.

I write a lot because there's so much to be written.

Not to discredit oral tradition or anything.  But written language is definitely a handy little invention.

No comments:

Post a Comment