Translate

Thursday, September 6, 2012

scriptor

Apparently I write a lot.

This was made known to me about a month ago.  I went to a party.  Everyone started playing video games, which we all know is the height of social interaction.  Especially when only four people can play at once.  Anyway, I was not amused by the video games, so I went upstairs and started writing stuff in a notebook I happened to have with me.  My excellent friend came to see what I was up to, and he notified me of the fact that I write a lot.  To be honest, this was news to me at the time because I had always been under the impression that I didn't write enough.  But I suppose his claim has some validity, because that notebook that I happened to have with me was really a notebook that accompanies me virtually everywhere...ha...

Anyway.  Perhaps a lot of this stemmed from my young desire to be a writer.  A lot of this developed during fifth and sixth grade...and then continued in seventh and eighth grade...but it was largely because I wanted to know lots of things, and I thought that writers knew lots of things, because they wrote about lots of things.  And they did research on lots of things, like Latin roots for Harry Potter spells and Greek mythology and all manner of interesting things.  So these people had to be quite knowledgeable on all things cool, right?  Why would I not want to be one?

Well, life continued, and right now I'm not planning on becoming a writer by profession.  The only reason I can think of as to why I lost that desire is because I had an English teacher in ninth grade that made writing things much more heinous of an activity than it had ever been.  Meanwhile, I had a math teacher that was making math much more exciting than it had ever been before, and since then I've been going down a math path, but still making rhymes sometimes to keep in touch with my inner writer.  

Although while I was cleaning out some old things in my room before moving out, I came upon several notebooks filled with writings from when I was going to be a writer.  It was rather impressive to see just how much I had written...but apparently not that impressive, because I ended up throwing all of it out.  Which most writers will tell you is a sin, but really...I hadn't looked at any of that stuff for ages, and none of it was that valuable to me anymore anyway because it was so old and I've changed so much since I wrote it and had those ideas...so I don't feel too bad.

I was planning on using this to lead into a different topic, but it kindof ran away from me and I don't want to make any single post too long because the attention span on the internet is not quite long enough to justify doing that. 

I have no idea where this post really went, or where it should go...
Ah well.  It happens to every writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment